We believe that real learning involves meaningful engagement. The learning can then be individualised to suit the student’s knowledge and skill levels as well as encouraging their talents and interests.
Schools today function in an exploding knowledge era with all learners part of new digital citizenship which allows for purpose-driven learning in authentic, problem-solving paradigms. Additionally, schools are challenged to keep children safe, to nurture student voice, to encourage student leadership and to allow students to develop mind-sets that empower both independent and collaborative learning and support the demonstration of creativity, initiative and innovation.
As a learning community we acknowledge the capacity of everyone as both a learner and a teacher. The expertise of individuals is celebrated and promoted through peer tutoring, collaboration and performance. The opportunity to teach others promotes leadership qualities and strengthens understandings.
Knowledge of each child is paramount in providing appropriate learning opportunities for individuals. Children are formally and informally assessed and monitored against curriculum documentation and developmental domains including social, emotional, cognitive and physical development. The timetabling of teaching facilitators enables individual and small group interactions, assessments and deep instructional teaching responding to our children’s needs.
Effective learning and teaching can occur when:
- Teachers collaborate to provide evidence-informed sytematic teaching and guidance
- Individual differences in knowledge, skills, abilities, needs and motivation are catered for
- Explicit links are made to the student’s prior knowledge and skills
- Students are able to practise retrieving and reviewing previously taught knowledge and skills
- Strategies are taught that enable students to take greater responsibility for being a learner
- Teaching strategies enable students to transfer skills and conceptual knowledge to new situations
- Students have opportunities for contact with and observation of experts
- Students and teachers can access information and learning resources when and where they need them